I took some time off going out of town a couple of weekends in a row, but I still got a few things done, which I’m finally documenting. Here is a proof of concept, about 5 inches on a side, of a new cat bed I’m making.
The final piece will have fleece on the inside and wool on the outside, be circular, and will have quilting on the bottom side, but I wanted to piece it together and figure out how I would finish all the seams before I actually cut into the fabric (which is pretty nice). Before I sewed this, I sketched it on paper and then pieced one together with tape and napkins, and those exercises were very helpful. This little fabric piece came together in about 5 minutes and disproved a concern I had about how I should pattern it, so it was both very satisfying and genuinely helpful.
Mr Bun stuck his head into it but declined to be photographed.
Day 2 of August, my second round of making something every day for a month, and I did succeed in making something (and testing it, even). I also found the registration form for the 3-Day Novel Contest, which runs over Labor Day weekend. Most years, I try to be scrupulous to journal daily during the month of August as a way both to flush the pipes of my worst self-indulgence and get in practice sitting down and writing even if I don’t feel like it.
Making my daily thing something that isn’t writing might make this harder – I guess I’ll find out in September!
Anyway, here is my first thing: a Flying Spaghetti Monster cat toy. I dithered for a couple of weeks over putting this together, because my first couple of tries really didn’t work at all. This doesn’t match my vision, either, but, hey, the FSM is filled with catnip (little-known fact!), and Mr Bun embraced it with all 4 paws.